Welcome to DreamPie!
DreamPie is a Python shell which is designed to be reliable and fun.
2012/10/18: DreamPie 1.2.1 released. Now you don't need to press Ctrl-Enter! 2012/09/25: DreamPie 1.2 released, moving to GitHub!
DreamPie was designed from the ground up to bring you a great interactive Python experience:
- DreamPie features a new concept for an interactive shell: the window is divided into the history box, which lets you view previous commands and their output, and the code box, where you write your code. This allows you to edit any amount of code, just like in your favorite editor, and execute it when it's ready. You can also copy code from anywhere, edit it and run it instantly.
- The Copy code only command will copy the code you want to keep, so you can save it in a file. The code is already formatted nicely with a four-space indentation.
- Features automatic completion of attributes and file names.
- Automatically displays function arguments and documentation.
- Keeps your recent results in the result history, for later use.
- Can automatically fold long outputs, so you can concentrate on what's important.
- Lets you save the history of the session as an HTML file, for future reference. You can then load the history file into DreamPie, and quickly redo previous commands.
- Automatically adds parentheses and optionally quotes when you press space
after functions and methods. For example, type
execfile fnand get
- Supports interactive plotting with matplotlib.
- Supports virtually all Python implementations: 2.5+, 3.1+, Jython, IronPython and PyPy.
- Works on Windows, Linux and Mac.
- Extremely fast and responsive.
- Free software licensed under GPL version 3.
See it in action
|The DreamPie window||Function documentation and filename completion. There's attribute completion too, of course!|
|DreamPie with matplotlib||Interrupt the process or kill it - the history is preserved!|
|Results are automatically saved in the result history.||Long output sections are automatically folded.|
|Jython support makes DreamPie an excellent tool for exploring Java classes...||...And IronPython support lets you explore .NET classes!|
|You can keep your session history as an HTML file, and load it back into DreamPie.|
ParticipatePlease participate by reporting a bug, suggesting a feature, joining the mailing list, joining #dreampie at freenode, or contributing code. With your help, DreamPie can be made even better!
DreamPie was created by Noam Yorav-Raphael. Some of the code is based on IDLE - the IDE shipped with Python. I contributed the AutoComplete feature to IDLE, and worked with it quite a lot, but became frustrated with its limitations. So I decided to write a new interactive shell, which will combine the best of IDLE, IPython and the plain old Python shell.
I hope you enjoy it!